I’m pleased to introduce the Burges Salmon Responsible Business Report 2022 which is entitled ‘Making an impact with ESG’; as we address environmental, social and governance issues as a responsible business.
The report is our annual opportunity to reflect and appraise whether we are delivering on our strategic purpose of being ‘an ambitious inclusive firm that ensures our clients, our people and wider communities flourish.’
Our latest and 4th report provides an in-depth overview and update in terms of:
- The firm’s approach to responsible business;
- ESG legal practice;
- Wellbeing and engagement;
- Inclusive workplace;
- Environmental sustainability;
- Employment and human rights; and
- Collaboration and innovation.
With the publication we are accountable to our stakeholders and demonstrate our commitment as a signatory to the UN Global Compact. The report provides narrative and quantified performance updates against our ten 5-year responsible business ambitions; now having reached the end of year 2 of these 5-year commitments.
Burges Salmon is recognised as a leading responsible business and in the main there has been strong progress and continual improvement. For the 2nd consecutive year we attained the Gold Standard as assessed by EcoVadis, placing us in the top 5% of participants globally. We scored as ‘advanced’ across the labour and human rights pillar, the environment pillar and the ethics and integrity pillar. We improved by 10% in the sustainable procurement pillar where we were recognised as ‘good’.
With our ten responsible business ambitions, we are on track to meet six whilst the remaining four require focus. We have another 3-years to push the dial. Highlights from the year include:
- being voted ‘Best Law Firm to Work At 2022 and 2023’ in the RollonFriday survey;
- being recognised again as one of the Time Top 50 Employers for Women 2022;
- winning four environmentally-related awards and having our science-based climate reduction targets approved;
- galvanising support for the people of Ukraine; and,
- having our people engage with our new Digital Learning Academy and our B-Innovative week.
We welcome feedback on any aspect of the report, our approach and/or our responsible business performance, which can be emailed to email@example.com.
See how we play our part in delivering a sustainable future through our operations, our client work and our community engagement, in our responsible business report.